Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Back to School: College Edition pt. 1

Fashion and Beauty Must Haves       

       Cue the school supplies commercials and back to school sales at the mall because, ladies and gentlemen, its that time of year again. August can be defined as the "Sunday of summer", and I completely agree. This is normally the time where you begin to realize that more than half of the summer is gone and if you're going off to college, there is a big chance that you recently realized, "wow...there is a lot of stuff I have to get before I leave..". Well, I'm here to help! I am the definition of an over packer and I personally know what it is like to live in a dorm that has too much stuff in it. I take full responsibility for that too, I was a little too over-prepared. Plus, through out the year, you accumulate a lot of stuff so pack lightly in the beginning.

     Without further ado, I've composed a list of the essentials for everything hair, fashion and beauty related. And also a few "things to avoid".(Keep in mind that I live in a place where it gets extremely cold).



FASHION

 1) Rainboots and a raincoat! There is nothing more annoying than walking to class in the rain and having to deal with wet clothes/shoes for the rest of the day.

2) Winter jacket with the works. The works being gloves, scarves and hats....if you have morning classes in the winter than you have my deepest sympathy. Bundle up! 

3) Other than scarves made for warmth, bring a few cute ones. I recommend infinity scarves. They are great for those days where you just want to wear jeans and a t shirt and you need a little extra something. 

4) Fuzzy socks and slippers. If you don't want to always slip on shoes to go do your laundry, slippers are the best thing for you. And fuzzy socks are just so comfortable.

5) Sweaters/sweatpants/sweatshirts have to stay warm! not going to lie to you, this was the majority of what I wore..

6) Some sort of jacket for the fall before it gets too cold. I recommend a leather jacket. 

7) Obviously jeans..

8) some sort of an everyday pair of boots. I have a pair of Chelsea boots from ASOS. It gets rather annoying and the cost really adds up to buy a pair or boots with fur or moccasins just to ruin them every winter. Avoid them.

9) Other shoes are; a pair of sneakers, flats, some flip flops for the shower and maybe a pair of high heels

10) PAJAMAS! make sure they're comfy!

11) An ID holder and lanyard. You'll most likely never carry cash around with you so you'll want something easy to just grab and take to class. 

FASHION TO AVOID

1) Leave all those heels at home. (except for a pair of nice black ones in case you have to dress up for an interview) There are a lot of misconceptions that you will be going to a lot of parties where you get all doll'd up and wear heels...at least in my experience, I have never been to a party where heels were a main thing that girls chose to wear. 

2) Fancy dresses. Once again, not worth using up space for them. A few cute casual dresses is more suitable but remember that the majority of the school year is in the fall/winter.

3) Actual snow boots...unless you do plan on playing in the snow


BEAUTY 

1) Eye shadow palettes. They are a lot more practical when it comes to traveling and going back and forth from home. 

2) Travel sized bottles for various things like lotion, perfume, and shampoo. Like I said before, they're great for those weekends that you go back home. Packing full size shampoo and conditioners is just plain annoying.

3) Face masks/body moisturizers I find that the air in the dorms, especially in the winter, is very dry so you'll need a little extra moisture to put back into your skin. Plus, who doesn't love a good face mask girly night??

4) A couple nail polishes...don't bring your whole collection..asking people if you could borrow some of theirs is a good way to start talking to people and making friends!

5) CHAPSTICK


AVOID

1) Bringing your whole lotion and perfume collection. It's honestly just a pain to pack up...bring a couple of your favorites or put them all in smaller bottles. Remember that you will accumulate more throughout the year. I brought my whole collection and then ended up buying more and it was ridiculous especially since I only wore a couple..


Obviously I did not name ALL of the beauty and fashion related stuff but I just wanted to list few things that i found essential and some that I thought I would need but I really didn't. 

Keep an eye out for my next post which will be essentials for your dorm and classes!


                      Leave a comment with some of your college essentials and ill make a post of what you guys say!
                                                      XX

No comments: